Friday, March 03, 2006

"What hath Candace Bushnell wrought." This is something I've been pondering lately, though I couldn't put it into words until I read a review of The Washingtonienne. SU did an article on Jessica Cutler that merited thought.

Is it possible that we are in the midst of the true sexual revolution right now, and the earlier one was just a precursor? Never before have women been able to talk about sex in such a crass, forthright, commonplace manner. It's fascinating and wonderful. But when do you take it too far? After all, the things we call "Revolutions" are usually taken too far; the French Revolution, the Bolshevik Revolution. Heads rolled, far more people were killed than was necessary.

And furthermore, how does a married woman get in on the excitement and sexual deviance? I've read Candace Bushnell and watched Sex and the City. It emboldens me to go have wild sex with some guy I don't know, but that's obviously not going to happen. Are these just the new romance novels that we mocked our mother's for reading, or is there something to be gained in this new revolution by the married folk as well as the single?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home