Monday, April 17, 2006

Mother in law woes...

So I've noticed that my mother in law (it sounds weird even saying that) and I don't speak the same language. I have the propensity to offend her unwittingly. She says "I'll take the roast out of the oven and pretend I know hot to carve it." I say "Don't worry, none of us know anything about it, so we'll think it's great."

It just comes out wrong. She hears "Lucky thing none of care very much, because your roast looks awful." At least, her look tells me that's what she hears, but since we don't speak the same language, it could really be "That color looks awful on you."

Easter was nice. I'm trying to teach Aaron not to smack my ass in front of his little brother. Because once, Dillon followed suit, which I don't think is appropriate. Either that or he'll start going around smacking the asses of other 9-year-old girls, also inappropriate.

I taught my sullen students today. They are soquiet, I can't them to speak! Ugh, I can't wait till this semester is over. Not my classes, just the teaching.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bridget said...

Fortunately *nobody* speaks my mother-in-law's language (she's on her own planet sometimes) so she's used to being misunderstood... I've been told that the best response in situations like that are things like: "I'm sure it will be fabulous" and/or "I'm sure the roast will be no match for your skills" and/or "Even if the roast isn't carved perfectly (which it probably will be) I'll still be in awe of what a great mom you are. Aaron is such a great guy (and then you talk about something great about Aaron for the next 5 minutes)"

4:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home